Saturday, October 13, 2007
New Haven W-943 NH wire train car
Built as Pullman parlor car "Westport" (32 seat-1 day drawing room) for the Merchants Limited service in August 1927. Became NYNH&H commuter club car 5105 (for the New Canaan Branch) in January 1948, and “smoker” (coach) 6845 in April 1955 (was replaced in New Canaan service by then-new MU club car 5111). The car was one of the last NH passenger cars to be painted in the traditional dark green, as the “McGinnis” black and red colors were introduced in May-June 1955. 6845 (“Westport”) was retired in March 1961, converted to wire train service in December 1965, and served on the New Rochelle (NY) wire train until 1972. It was purchased from Metro-North in 1990.
at 9:10 PM